Subject: Bug#970711: False positive: globbing-patterns-out-of-order extra/readline/* */CMakeLists.txt

From: Otto Kekäläinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 11:56:25 +0300

Package: lintian
Version: 2.95.0
Severity: normal

I am getting a lot of warnings like:
W: mariadb-10.5 source: globbing-patterns-out-of-order
extra/readline/* */CMakeLists.txt
W: mariadb-10.5 source: globbing-patterns-out-of-order
libmariadb/zlib/* */CMakeLists.txt
W: mariadb-10.5 source: globbing-patterns-out-of-order
plugin/audit_null/* */CMakeLists.txt
W: mariadb-10.5 source: globbing-patterns-out-of-order
plugin/auth_gssapi/* */CMakeLists.txt
W: mariadb-10.5 source: globbing-patterns-out-of-order
plugin/daemon_example/* */CMakeLists.txt
W: mariadb-10.5 source: globbing-patterns-out-of-order
plugin/feedback/* */CMakeLists.txt
W: mariadb-10.5 source: globbing-patterns-out-of-order
plugin/file_key_management/* */CMakeLists.txt

Example: https://salsa.debian.org/mariadb-team/mariadb-10.5/-/jobs/1017786

I get the same errors no matter if I have */CMakeLists.txt at the
beginning of the debian/copyright file or at the end. Maybe this is a
false positive? Maybe it cannot parse paths that start with a
wildcard?

---

From: Felix Lechner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 06:17:20 -0700

Hi Otto,

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 2:03 AM Otto Kekäläinen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Maybe it cannot parse paths that start with a
> wildcard?

I agree. The issue is the matching behavior of the leading wildcard.

This is probably the same as Bug#970274 but I ultimately decided
against merging them because the ineffective re-ordering attempts you
described. They are probably a consequence, but I am not sure. It
should be examined after the other bug was solved.

Merging the bugs the other way around seemed also like a poor idea,
because Bug#970274 pinpoints the exact reference from the copyright
specification at issue here. The copyright check was rewritten
recently. There is no official parser.

Thanks for helping to make Lintian better for everyone, and sorry
about all the bugs!

Kind regards
Felix Lechner