Subject: Bullseye - Mate desktop CPU usage

From: TarotApprentice <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 04:31:28 +0000 (UTC)

Package: debian-installer
Version: 20210731

Machine is a Ryzen 3600 with a Nvidia GT710 installed. Clean install of bullseye using DI RC3. Install proceeded without issue. When prompted by tasksel selected mate-desktop and ssh server options (everything else de-selected).

After reboot, adjusted sources.list to include contrib and non-free. Installed nvidia-driver package. Removed libreoffice and aspell packages. Added an iptables based firewall.

Mate system monitor show all 16 CPU cores using up to 20% CPU usage. I've tried attaching a screenshot. Top shows a number of mate components mostly sleeping, but all using some percentage of CPU. dbus-daemon is always at the top of the list. If user logs out of desktop these go away (ie watch it via ssh).

top - 14:00:15 up 5 min,  2 users,  load average: 1.05, 0.42, 0.16
Tasks: 209 total,   1 running, 208 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu(s):  8.6 us,  1.5 sy,  0.0 ni, 88.7 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  1.2 si,  0.0 st
MiB Mem :  15982.1 total,  15241.1 free,    422.2 used,    318.8 buff/cache
MiB Swap:    976.0 total,    976.0 free,      0.0 used.  15286.3 avail Mem

    PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
    864 root      20   0    8216   4668   3776 S   8.0   0.0   0:08.46 dbus-daemon
    646 root      20   0  267964  62360  44652 S   2.7   0.4   0:03.97 Xorg
    854 root      20   0  270052  24896  17164 S   2.0   0.2   0:02.49 x-session-manag
    927 root      20   0  236904   9568   6628 S   1.3   0.1   0:01.16 gvfsd
    851 root      20   0  237352   7652   6704 S   1.0   0.0   0:01.01 gnome-keyring-d
    905 root      20   0    7804   4272   3816 S   1.0   0.0   0:01.30 dbus-daemon
    917 root      20   0  839236  58200  40764 S   1.0   0.4   0:01.26 mate-settings-d
    920 root      20   0  165804   6724   6052 S   1.0   0.0   0:01.00 at-spi2-registr
    961 root      20   0  270196  22544  17172 S   1.0   0.1   0:00.57 mate-screensave
    976 root      20   0  348988  11864  10464 S   1.0   0.1   0:01.26 gvfs-udisks2-vo
    991 root      20   0  311684  10020   6792 S   1.0   0.1   0:01.18 gvfs-afc-volume
    996 root      20   0  233000   8428   5460 S   1.0   0.1   0:01.19 gvfs-mtp-volume
   1000 root      20   0  235372   7160   6212 S   1.0   0.0   0:01.18 gvfs-gphoto2-vo
   1004 root      20   0  233072   6268   5636 S   1.0   0.0   0:01.20 gvfs-goa-volume
  13705 root      20   0  379612  27368  21440 S   1.0   0.2   0:00.03 caja
    966 root      20   0  189456  15660  13884 S   0.7   0.1   0:00.48 polkit-mate-aut
    926 root      20   0  320304  38940  28408 S   0.3   0.2   0:00.52 marco
    937 root      20   0  469580  44108  32048 S   0.3   0.3   0:00.76 mate-panel
    950 root      20   0  344692  29372  22564 S   0.3   0.2   0:00.17 wnck-applet
    959 root      20   0  473080  42696  33664 S   0.3   0.3   0:00.17 nm-applet
    978 root      20   0  342720  25308  19744 S   0.3   0.2   0:00.32 mate-power-mana
   1013 root      20   0  343076  27912  22172 S   0.3   0.2   0:00.14 notification-ar
      1 root      20   0  163876  10332   7868 S   0.0   0.1   0:00.79 systemd