Entertainment Sports Golf Tiger Woods Reveals He Ruptured His Achilles After Starting to 'Ramp Up' His Training The golf legend had been eyeing a return to the Masters, where he holds a record for most consecutive times making the cut By Anna Lazarus Caplan Anna Lazarus Caplan Anna Lazarus Caplan is a writer-reporter for PEOPLE. She has been working at PEOPLE since 2022. Her work previously appeared in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, The Dallas Morning News, Eater and other publications. People Editorial Guidelines Published on March 11, 2025 04:27PM EDT 2 Comments Photo: Sean M. Haffey/Getty Tiger Woods has hit another setback. Weeks after losing his mother Kultida Woods, the golf legend announced on Tuesday, March 11 that he has ruptured his Achilles tendon. “As I began to ramp up my own training and practice at home, I felt a sharp pain in my left Achilles, which was deemed to be ruptured,” Woods, 49, wrote on social media. He continued, “This morning, Dr. Charlton Stucken of Hospital for Special Surgery in West Palm Beach, Florida performed a minimally invasive Achilles tendon repair for a ruptured tendon.” Josh Allen Cheers on Tiger Woods as He Parties with His Boys at TGL Tournament Woods quoted his doctor, who said that “the surgery went smoothly, and we expect a full recovery.” Fresh off his play in the inaugural TGL golf league, Woods was said to be eyeing the Masters next month — where he made history last year for making the cut for the 24th consecutive time. Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories. But after the death of his beloved mother and the injury, Woods’ comeback has taken a turn. "This is the third time I’ve touched a club since my mom passed, so I haven’t really gotten into it,” Woods said last week at a TGL match. “My heart is not into practicing right now. I have so many other things to do with the tour. Once I start probably feeling a little bit better and start getting into it, I’ll start looking at the schedule.” Despite earning an exemption in the 2025 Players Championship (thanks to his winning the Masters in 2019) this week, Woods was not on the list of 144 players set to compete as of Monday, March 10, according to USA Today. Tiger Woods Announces His Mom Kultida Has Died: 'She Was My Biggest Fan' Instead, the golfer said on Tuesday that he will now take time to recover from surgery. “I am back home now and plan to focus on my recovery and rehab, thank you for all the support,” he wrote. Close Leave a Comment